Site Meter Blog Blog Blog!: New SF Jersey Boys to Perform at Tree Lighting

It's a self-preservation thing, you see.

Friday, November 16, 2007

New SF Jersey Boys to Perform at Tree Lighting

Ever since I saw (and subsequently fell madly in love with) Jersey Boys and discovered the awesome Jersey Boys Blog soon afterwards, the blog has been given a permanent spot on the short list of must-reads in my RSS feed. They are always up to date with all the newest Jersey Boys happenings, and while most of the events and news they mention are about the Broadway cast of Jersey Boys and therefore take place in New York, every now and then, there would be a gem of information about something cool going on over here on the other coast of the country.

When I read on the blog that the new San Francisco cast of Jersey Boys will be performing at Union Square for the Macy's Tree Lighting a few nights ago, I was heartbroken to find out that it was going to take place on November 16th - less than week before I would be back in San Francisco for Thanksgiving break.

I immediately told my friends who were still in the Bay Area about the AWESOME opportunity to watch the new cast perform live and hoped that one of them would be considerate enough to record a bit of their performance to show me.

Then I checked my feed last night and saw a correction:

"SF Jersey Boys to Perform at Macy’s Tree Lighting on Friday 11/23!"

Not 11/16!

Upon reading that news, I was absolutely ecstatic!

I've never been to a Tree Lighting ceremony at Union Square before, but with the Jersey Boys performing, this is the perfect year to go out and join in on the festivities.


After reading the spiel about the history of the Tree Lighting, I was a little surprised to learn that this year would only be the 18th Annual Tree Lighting; I have always assumed that the GIANT tree in the middle of Union Square was a much older tradition because I did not know of the time before the giant tree existed and could not imagine Union Square without the tree displayed during the holiday season. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it, you know? I couldn't believe the tradition was just as old as I was!

I am already making plans with friends coming home from various colleges for Thanksgiving to go watch the new cast of Jersey Boys perform and to bask in the start of the jolly holiday spirit bound to sweep the city (or at the very least, the city's department stores' speaker systems) as the magnificent tree lights up Union Square and twinkles into the night for the very first time. I couldn't be more excited!

No comments: