Site Meter Blog Blog Blog!: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

It's a self-preservation thing, you see.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Because for some nonsensical reason, the MTS buses that run to and from UCSD stop service at about 10 pm (as proof, my roommates got stranded at Fashion Valley Mall for about two hours one Saturday night, until our lovely HA drove out to rescue them at around midnight), my roommate and I had to modify our movie choice last night to find something that would end well before when the buses would call it a night - just in case.

While I really wanted to watch Across the Universe in theaters again, the movie times were unfortunately much too late to work with the bus system. Instead, we decided to watch a surefire feel-good movie, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.


Ever since I saw the previews over the summer, I looked forward to watching this movie in theaters. Dustin Hoffman? Natalie Portman? Jason Bateman? What an amazing cast! I LOVED Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth in Arrested Development (one of the best shows ever!), so I was very excited to see him on the big screen.

Most critics felt pretty neutral about the movie (and EW apparently hated it), but I really enjoyed it. I don't remember the last time I saw a G-rated movie in theaters, but Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium really does have a little something for everybody in the audience, whether young or old. The great diversity in the age of the audience in the theater that night was proof of this. Of course, there were plenty of parents towing not just one or two, but an average of three or four young children each, into the front rows of the theater, but there was also a sizable number of teenagers, young adults, and older couples taking seats in the rear of the theater.

Since I guess you could say this was meant to be a "kids' movie," it wasn't surprising that a good number of the seats taken that night was by little people under forty-eight inches tall and not yet at that double-digit age yet; what was surprising though, was how the fact that I was sitting in a theater full of kids totally slipped my mind during the hour and thirty-three minute movie.

No crying, no whining, no unnecessary interruptions, whatsoever.

Unbelievable, right? I sure thought so.

Usually, I groan whenever I see even one or two younger kids enter my theater with their parents because their presence almost always guaranteed that some kind of tantrum was bound to interrupt the movie about halfway through, but I guess Mr. Magorium's magic kept the children so entranced that even they forgot to be a nuisance that night.

Something about Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium reminded me of one of my all-time favorite movies, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, mind you). While Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was based on the children's book by Roald Dahl, the film had so many snide social criticisms and bits of dark humor that it probably appealed to adults as much as it did to children. Mr. Magorium didn't contain the same kind of 1970's dark humor, but the plot was so full of clever references and was intricate enough to entertain adults on a whole different level as the kids enjoyed all the cool toys on display in the Wonder Emporium.


Shakespearean references, a cameo by Kermit the Frog (!), and one of my favorite Cat Stevens songs playing during one of my favorite scenes? This was definitely more than just your average, mindless children's movie!

Dustin Hoffman, Natalie Portman, and Jason Bateman did not disappoint, but Zach Mills, the little boy who did an amazing job playing the wise beyond his years and big-hearted Eric, wins the award for the most outstanding performance. I was very impressed by his talent and the sincerity in his portrayal of the slightly eccentric Eric.

All the attention paid to the small details in all the special effects really made this movie stand out. The sad sock monkey broke my heart in all of his appearances throughout the first half of the movie, but he, like the movie itself, had a very sweet and happy ending that put a grin on my face for the rest of the night.

There aren't many movies I would be willing to see in theaters more than once (what with such high ticket prices nowadays), but I wouldn't mind watching Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium again, even if it was just to see all the cool toys in action!

No comments: