Site Meter Blog Blog Blog!: Netflix Queue: When Harry Met Sally...

It's a self-preservation thing, you see.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Netflix Queue: When Harry Met Sally...

I am a sucker for romantic comedies and I've seen quite a few "classics" from the late 80's/early 90's, but much to the horror of my friends, I did not enjoy any of them very much.

Most romantic comedies fall under the category of "fluffy" movies without much substance that become dated very, very quickly. They may be good for a few good laughs, and if you're lucky, some big-screen eye-candy, but not much more, which was why I was pretty reluctant about taking the time to watch When Harry Met Sally...; I thought it was going to just be another outrageously cheesy and extremely outdated movie, but boy was I wrong.


There's a reason this movie is on several top 100 movies of all time lists!

Besides the hair and the clothes, which were both pretty easy to ignore once the plot really started rolling, this movie did not feel overly dated at all. For a movie that was as old as I was, I was a quite pleasantly surprised that the themes explored could still easily be applied today, and that the characters all felt realistic and relatable.

Can a man and a woman be friends without romantic strings attached? Harry and Sally's fate (though it did take quite a few years to develop) say no, and I agree with that to some extent. There are always those initial attractions and slight crushes, but they are usually short-lived and the friendship progresses immensely immediately after both sides get over it. What happens after a strong friendship develops and whether the relationship might come full-circle is a whole nother story...

I really enjoyed the movie, and while the tale of Harry and Sally was sweet, it wasn't overly sappy either.

When Harry gives that famous exasperated speech declaring his love for Sally as he proposes to her at the end of the movie, I couldn't help but smile because I remembered an episode of Scrubs referencing that exact moment.

It was a pretty cool coincidence that I received When Harry Met Sally... right after I watched Casablanca because the former references the latter in the film!

No comments: