Site Meter Blog Blog Blog!: Hacking Up a Lung

It's a self-preservation thing, you see.

Monday, January 7, 2008

Hacking Up a Lung

I only have one complaint about my winter break trip to the east coast - there wasn't enough time to do everything I wanted to do in the city! There is never enough time (or money!) to do everything I want to do in NYC though, so that just means I have to visit again very soon. I ended up only spending about a week in New York proper, but I am pretty satisfied with all the things I managed to do and see with the resources at hand.

Spending an incredible day at The Met (leaving only when my mom reminded me several times, while dragging me out of the museum, that the loudspeakers announced that it was closing in less than fifteen minutes), watching my first Broadway musical sitting in FRONT ROW of the orchestra, finding the ducks that Holden spent so much time wondering and worrying about, witnessing (and shamelessly participating in) sheer Brooklyn madness at a local mall during a huge sale, and laughing my ass off when a group of street performers on Fifth Avenue (the "afro-bats," they dubbed themselves) dragged my uncle into their circle to take part in an act of their performance where they "risk their lives for your sick amusement," are just a few memorable highlights from my trip.

With so many exciting things happening before and after my Christmas in suburban New Jersey (my last post)... why has there been such a serious lack in postings lately, you wonder?

Well, I got sick. Really, really sick.

And it sucks.

Plans to head down to Times Square for New Year's Eve were thwarted by whatever crazy illness I came down with on the 30th that started with the worse migraine ever (that was not helped by the fact that there were about twenty people in my aunt's house in Brooklyn, the TV in the living room was blaring all night, the smoke detector in the kitchen kept going off every ten minutes due to the marathon cooking going on in the small, not-so-well ventilated area for the party of twenty, and people (the little kids in particular) just WOULD NOT leave me alone!), progressed into the worse sore throat ever, followed by the complete loss of my voice, and ultimately developed into a hacking cough that seems to sound scarier (and more violent) by the hour.

I have my voice back (kind of), but I have been coughing so much in the last two days that my head hurts from the pressure of the coughs.

Winter classes started today and I can't believe how drained of energy I am from just sitting and listening to professors discuss their syllabi in lecture. The quarter system flies by too quickly to waste time being sick!

I really miss my bed at home and the ANTM marathon on VH1 that kept me company during my stuck-in-bed-because-I-am-so-sick four days back in San Francisco before flying down to San Diego.

There is so much to write about, but I don't have the energy or mental capacity to deal with anything when I am sick; all my posts would be made up of paragraph-long run-on sentences that I would lose the train of thought of pretty easily if I made any attempts "organize" my thoughts into anything meaningful while I am in this state. Hopefully I get better before I forget everything!

No comments: